Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Week 11: Reading Diary B

sita's in flames from Bill Benzon on Flickr

This week I chose to finish up Nine Ideal Indian Women, by Sunity Devee.

Every time I reread Sita's story, I know exactly what's coming at the end, and yet it gets me every time. Rama insists Sita prove herself virtuous, so she throws herself on a fire and doesn't get burned. Pretty sure that's proof enough, but a while later, Rama tells Lakshmana that while Rama totally 100% believes that Sita is innocent, she's gotta go back to the forest. Because of his duty to his subjects, or something. Really? It's like every time I read it his reasoning gets worse.

Plus, this time, Rama gets mad that she leaves and starts shooting arrows at the earth, and then promises that he'll never ask to test her again, which is interesting, because he's already asked her twice.

At least Rama is appropriately unhappy at the end of Sita's story.

Enjoying Promila's story so far, but Birbahoo is a ridiculous name and I love it.

I think the exact way most of the women's tales can be summed up is in the passage in Promila's story that follows, quoted from page 164 of Nine Ideal Indian Women:

"Husband and lord! I know your duty to King, country, and parents comes before all else, and I shall not hinder you, but may I not accompany you to the Capital?"
     "Promila! Beloved wife, music of my life!" and Indrajit caught her in a mighty clasp of farewell love. "Is it possible I could forget you for a single moment? You are my higher soul, my sunshine of life! Wait here awhile for me."  

And Promila is thrilled! The whole passage just seems so characteristic of how the husband and wife interactions go. Showered with praise, and then "but also don't come with me."

Never mind. I am thrilled with Promila's decision to go anyway dressed as a soldier.

Lakshmana got some surprising depth in the end of that story as well.

I might have to write about Promila this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment