Sunday, November 1, 2015

Week 11: Reading Diary A

Sita, peacing out, and Rama, being super confused by that fact (also known as Sita returning to Mother Earth and her sons and husband looking on) from the Wikipedia article on Sita


This week I chose to finish out the Nine Ideal Indian Women book by reading Sita's section. Since I've read about Sita a fair few times before, I did my reading diary in a stream-of-consciousness style to see how that worked for me. It's a little sarcastic, so I apologize in advance.

Sita was named Sita because she was found in the furrows, which are also sitas. Did not know that!

Ravan makes the holiest and hermit-est of people praise him with gifts even if they're poor. Lame.

The moonis retaliate by giving Ravan a drop of blood from each of them, and let Ravan know that he's "so yesterday" and "we're the cool ones now," and Ravan freaks out so he gets his messenger to bury the blood in the ground. Enter Sita.

All of the princesses are pretty, but Sita's prettiness is noteworthy. All the sisters love each other though, so it's all good.

I think the mileage varies with parents openly picking favorite children, but not having that experience myself, I wouldn't know.

When Rama is getting ready to break the bow, Sita is very reminiscent of a Disney Princess in that she first saw him 0.02 seconds ago, but is asking God to help him because she loves him. Fortunately, this behavior is looked upon as normal at this point in time.

Oooooh, Rama didn't tell Dad-King he was going to woo a lady and can't very well marry without his permission.

I think I'll start using the word "bride-elect" when I'm referring to bride-to-be's. Much more democratic. Far more politically correct.

Is it just me or does it seem sort of terrible that once Sita gets married her parents are just not going to see her again? That's just a thing that happens and is accepted. "Alright, ring's on your finger, now get out and don't come back."

In every new version of the Ramayana there seems to be another detail as to why Sita's life is just not a quality one. In this version, it's because her intended takes a really, really long time to come back from taking a powder, and so when he encounters them on the road, he starts to pick a fight with Rama. Not cool, man, you set the deal up yourself.

Ooooh, Rama is sassy in this edition!

Rama: "I love you so much! I'll never leave you! Except if you get forcibly taken from me. That's not my fault, that's just logistics. And don't expect a warm welcome if you ever get back from kidnapping."

Keykaya is still the worst.

No, Sita, really, just chill in the palace. It'll make life easier for everyone and--nope, still going in to exile with your man. That's admirable, just know that loyalty in this relationship is not in fact a two way street.

Monthara is also the worst.

Sita still has a good time in the forest.

----

I think the stream of consciousness made me pay more attention to how I was reacting to the story, but I might have gotten lost in myself? I'm not sure. Will experiment further.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Claire! I think I have already commented on your introduction so I will comment on your Reading Diary. It is funny to read another person’s thoughts while they read a book. You do reading diaries a lot differently than I do. I simply summarize the parts, and you add a lot more emotion into it. I might do the same in my upcoming reading diaries. I think I might check this story out now that I have read your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Claire, we have so much in common when it comes to reading these stories! I frequently find my notes to be sassy and sarcastic -- especially regarding Rama and Sita! However, I really did enjoy learning a little more about Sita's origin from your interpretation as well. Knowledge and sass always win! :)

    ReplyDelete