Sunday, August 30, 2015

Growth Mindset

From A Growth Mindset by Matthew Syed

I've actually heard about the growth mindset really recently from the Dean of University College, Nicole Campbell. She came and gave a presentation to the Engineering Dean's Leadership Council Mentors during a workshop we had, and it honestly surprised me that there was a way of thought in the world that said one's natural aptitude for a particular subject or part of life was all they had to work with. It all seemed so obvious! Of course, anyone has the ability to learn- what more could you need? After that thought, I was surprised again, because for a long time (and sometimes still) the very thing I was scoffing at, I believed to be true of myself.

Having been praised as a child for being very smart and talented, I believed it was natural intelligence that led me to high test scores and straight A's. Looking back, I think it was much more due to the fact that you couldn't tear a book out of my hands if you had wanted to; I read constantly. Reading aside, I got my first B in seventh grade. It was in Algebra One, and I deserved it. I was disorganized, I lost my homework all the time, and wasn't prepared for class on a daily basis. When I saw that B on my report card, I was devastated. Thirteen years old, and already a failure.

But no matter! I could come back from it. I worked my tail off and got back on the straight A track through high school. My days of failure were finally, finally behind me. I joked with my peers that the first B made other failures easier, though I was lying and I knew it. That B haunted me for years, always a menace in my mind, at the back of my thoughts during tests- until, lo and behold, my senior year of high school, I got a second one.

Did I handle it any better? Nope. Devastation. AP Physics had bested me. Eighteen years old, an official failure, one semester left to go and my 4.0 was gone.

The difference was that this time, there was a tiny voice in my brain that said, 'Let's brush ourselves off, put a band-aid on our knees, and learn from it.'

I got an A in AP Physics the next semester, my last in high school. For the first time, I attributed that A to hard work instead of whatever natural intelligence I was born with. I earned it. I fought for that A by putting time in to study, by going to night lectures, by doing whatever I could to learn.

Have I gotten my fair share of B's since then? Yep. I've even racked up a C to put on my wall. I'm not proud of that one- that was a particularly rough pill to swallow- but I do know that every day, I try to put in the work, to put in the time and dedication to get better at something. I danced all through school, and I never did well at anything in ballet by trying it once, failing, getting frustrated, and quitting. I did a thousand single turns before I ever squeaked out a double. I fell out of a million doubles trying for the ever elusive triple.

As I head into this semester, it's easy to sometimes see the mountain of work that lies ahead of me and get scared, or frustrated, or discouraged. Sometimes this gets to me- I end up thinking, "Everyone around me is far smarter than me, I'm not smart enough to be an engineer, I'm not a good enough leader, this must come so easily to everyone else, why is it so hard for me?"

When that happens, I tend to call my mom. She always tells me just to "put one foot in front of the other", which happens to be a song from Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town, a truly wonderful claymation Christmas movie with Fred Astaire that I recommend to anyone interested. It's a good reminder to me that growth happens slowly, it's an iterative process, and that sometimes I'm gonna fall- but I also might fly.

The Growth Mindset is a daily challenge in itself, and I look forward to more fully implementing it in my life.


This video is too good and relevant not to share. Put One Foot In Front Of The Other, from the movie Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town.

3 comments:

  1. You explained Growth Mindset very well. I liked how you included your own experience with the explanation. I used to be like you in high school, getting a B was very hard to take in even though I didn’t put in enough effort to receive an A. Being in college made me realize that it is the hard work that will lead to success and the path to success is not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this account of Growth Mindset! I had a very similar childhood attitude and likewise, was devastated when I, too, received a B for Algebra I! If I saw Mr. Perkins now, I might still burst into tears! I didn't truly learn my lesson about the process behind learning until my freshman year of college. Although I ended up with a C in chemistry, I would not take back my decision to take the course. It taught me a lot about what I was passionate about and how I functioned as a student. Funny how our failures can strangely end up being successes through their lessons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only did you give a great account of growth mindset, but you also made me feel not quite so alone on my journey through college. I honestly almost had the same experience as you. I didn't receive my first B until my senior year of high school and it was in chemistry, I"d always been horrible at science, but I at least thought I was smart enough to pass with an A and it was devastating. That B knocked me out of the running for Valedictorian and Salutatorion altogether and that definitely hurt me. Even now as I pass with high B's and A's, they still devastate me because I know in the back of my mind that I didn't put in the time and effort that I should have. I know I could and should have done better, so it's nice to know that I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete