Monday, August 24, 2015

From California to Oklahoma: Favorite Places

As far as my favorite places go, I currently have two. I found it difficult to pick a place at first, but I think this is because my favorite places are often just that because of the time I spent there with my favorite people.

First up is right here in Norman, Oklahoma. I'm a native Oklahoman, but the past three years in college have long secured this as one of my favorite places to be. The Engineering Quad will always be a second home to me (for more reasons than just the long hours I've spent studying there) and when I think of OU, I think of the quad. Overall, my time at the campus is something I'll always cherish. This picture is of Evans Hall, which often stands as a symbol of OU and has the characteristic style of the campus as a whole.

Photograph of Evans Hall at the University of Oklahoma from Wikipedia 


My second place is the beautiful Santa Barbara, California. I spent the last summer there (specifically in Goleta, where UC Santa Barbara is located), and while I loved being there, I didn't realize how much I had fallen in love with the place until I started the long drive back to Oklahoma, leaving the oceans and the mountains behind. This picture is a photograph of the bluffs that were behind the apartment I lived in-- I spent a fair bit of quality time walking those bluffs, enjoying the ocean view and the mountains behind.

Photograph of Ellwood Bluffs by Yeti-legs on Flickr.





1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh, Santa Barbara: that is a magical place, Claire! I've only been there once, to a wonderful conference about animals in folklore and mythology: the conference was great and the setting was just gorgeous. I would love an excuse to go back there again... maybe someday!

    And you made a real trek doing that long drive all the way from California to Oklahoma, wow! I moved myself from Berkeley to Norman when I took my job at OU back in 1999, driving all my stuff in a U-Haul van: I was kind of scared to do that at first, driving that big old van, but it turned out to be so much fun, and I saw so many things along the way. Flying is convenient, but driving is definitely more of an epic-worthy adventure! :-)

    ReplyDelete