Thursday, August 27, 2015

Indian Epics Overview

      I'll be frank. My main interest in Hinduism comes straight from the Beatle himself, George Harrison. I grew up in a fairly small, religious, conservative town, but have always been curious about other religions besides Christianity, and my first introduction to it was in his song My Sweet Lord (linked here for anyone interested!). Always being a Beatles fan, I had heard this song before, but never listened to the lyrics until I was in a dance to the song when I was in middle school.

     When I was little, I loved to read Greek mythology- I think I checked out every book the elementary school library had and reread them all time and time again. In middle school, my excellent World History teacher made sure to take us through the creation myths of each of the early cultures, and I was fascinated.

     Coming into my fourth year of engineering, I don't have much time to explore anything besides my homework. When a friend took this class, I saw it as an opportunity to make myself take the time to learn about a culture I don't have much experience with, and I cannot wait to dive into the material.

     The image I chose is of Krishna, whose name in the song linked earlier. I chose this particular image, because if I could fit a picture with another of George's songs, Within You Without You, this would be one of my first choices. Granted, I know little to nothing about any of this yet, so I may have chosen poorly- but I am particularly drawn to this one.


Image originally from Wikipedia 

    I've also spent a little time reading Ram Dass' book Be Here Now, which I recommend to anyone who has ever lost sight of the present, as I have before, and surely will again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment