Thursday, August 27, 2015

Storybook Favorites

     The first of my three favorite storybooks was easy, and maybe a bit of a cheat- Allison Olin is one of my good friends, and I was often studying near her when she was writing her blog posts. We would talk about them often, and when she would tell me about her storybook that was set in space and had a Firefly flavor, I was generally rapt. I've enjoyed being able to go back and read her posts! I thought her design was really creative, and love the feel of the blog. I also like the bit about Captain Willoughby- not only is he an engaging character, but it is also a bit of a nod to the College of Engineering, as one of our most favorite places on campus (Willoughby Lounge) is named in memoriam of another certain Willoughby who was very active with engineering and organizations within engineering during the time he was with OU.

     The second blog I chose was called In a World of My Own. Here, the introduction post hooked me. I definitely plan to go back and read more of this- it's very well written, and I want to know more of the story, which I'm sure is exactly what the writer wanted! I really like the chapter-style layout of the blog, as it makes it really seem like a storybook. I might consider implementing that for my own.

     The third storybook I chose was another from Indian Epics, called Elephants of Indian Epics. If nothing else, the front page picture as shown below was a fantastic hook.

Image originally from bonniemorg

     The color of the elephant and the richness of the picture really drew me in to looking at more of the blog. This is definitely proof of what a good hook can do for a blog or a book. The site was also really easy to navigate, which was a plus. Reading all of these and browsing more has made me incredibly excited to start my own storybook this semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment