Sunday, August 30, 2015

Week 1 Curation

Okay, confession time.

I struggle with bookmarks. I have them. There are some folders, sure. Are they organized? I don't think you could call them that even if you were being kind. Are they relevant? Well, they all were at some point. Most of my bookmarks came to be because at some point I thought, "Wow, that would be a great thing to look at later!" And then I never do. In my mind, if I can't find it again by Googling it, then it must not have been important. This is not a good strategy. This is why I stumble across websites once and then keep that tab open for weeks after because I don't want to lose it. Of all my curation and organizational strategies, bookmarks just aren't in the wheelhouse. They're easy to make, and I should probably reorganize them, but right now they're mostly haphazard. There is, at the least, now a folder that reads "Indian Epics", so maybe that will jump start my bookmark bar?

Moving on to Pinterest- it's a little bit the opposite. I'm not always on Pinterest, I tend to take fairly long breaks between pinning-frenzies, but I use it a ton. Recipes, crochet patterns, travel ideas, gift ideas... It's all on there.

Nope, not kidding. A small slice of my boards on Pinterest, screencaptured by myself.

Most of these ideas, I'm not even sure I'll carry out. Cutting hot dogs to look like tiny octopi sounds amazing online,  but am I ever going to do that? Well, I won't rule it out forever, but I can tell you it won't happen anytime soon. Pinterest is the tool I use to put my jumbles of ideas so they don't take up extra real estate in my brain. 

Twitter and I have a particularly special curation relationship, primarily because I use Twitter first and foremost for recording quotes said by anyone from my roommate to my professors. If there's a particularly good zinger in class, or an insightful thought, or just something that made me laugh, it usually goes on Twitter. I don't use it as much anymore as I used to, but it's definitely still alive. 

Here's to better curation and thought organization!

No comments:

Post a Comment