Monday, September 7, 2015

Reading Feedback Week 2

First and foremost, I think it's really cool that there are options at all for reading in this class. The fact that I could choose what I wanted to read, or which edition to read of something, has a flexibility that almost none of my other classes have. 

I chose Narayan's Ramayana because of a few reasons, the most important one being that I have a hard time reading on a computer. Fairly short articles/works are fine, but once what I'm reading gets to be ten pages or more, I can't focus and it starts to mess with my eyes. In the past, I've managed by turning up the red on my monitor, and turning down the blue, which makes it a lot easier to read. Having a print option is almost always better for me, though.

If I ran into something in the reading that I wasn't sure of, or a name I wasn't familiar with, I made sure to Google it so I'd stay on the same track. Narayan does a pretty good job of keeping names straight, though, which is helpful. There were a couple times when someone's name would change for the foreseeable future, or they would be addressed differently, and the little notes to remind the reader who was being addressed made it much easier to read. Narayan seems easy to read in general.

Image of man walking and reading a newspaper, from Wikimedia

The picture above accurately describes how I read a good chunk of the reading this week. I walk to campus instead of driving, and so I have a few minutes each day and before class to read. When I was younger, I used to read while walking, and this book is light enough to carry with one hand, so I resurrected my old habit. This is largely because I really wanted to keep reading even after I needed to go to class! Best of both worlds, here. 

The reading took me a couple hours the first time around, but I did quite a bit of back and forth referencing after the fact, so it probably added up to three hours after everything was said and done. 

Looking forward to this week's reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment