Monday, September 14, 2015

Week 4: Tech Tip - Google Timer

Image of Pomodoro timer from Wikipedia


Usually I trust myself to manage my time wisely, but after a couple breaks that end up taking longer than anticipated, I remind myself to go back to my tried and true time management method, which is more commonly known as The Pomodoro Technique, which is linked here. They want you to buy their timer that looks like a cute tomato, and while it is pretty adorable, I like my timers free. I didn't realize Google had such a great option either! I've been using a free online timer that's fairly annoying to set, so this is a definite upgrade for me.

How the Pomodoro technique works: the user sets a timer for twenty five minutes. They work on that task (studying, cleaning, etc) for the full twenty five minutes, and then take a five minute break. After four twenty-five minute cycles, the break is a 30 minute break instead of just a five minute one. Repeat ad naseum. This is how I've studied for finals since second semester of freshman year, and I can't recommend it enough. The twenty five minute intervals make the studying seem short, and the frequent breaks keep me from getting burned out too quickly over the course of the day. Plus, during those breaks, instead of browsing Facebook, I'll use them to do something physical, like jumping jacks, or wash some dishes, or pick up around the house. Two birds with one stone!

Anyway, the Google timer will really help, and I can't wait to use it!


No comments:

Post a Comment