Monday, September 14, 2015

Week 4: Reading Diary A, Sita: Daughter of the Earth

This week I chose to read Sita: Daughter of the Earth, as I really enjoy reading graphic novels, and wanted to read a story written from Sita's point of view.  

I chose the image of a modern day camping area with a campfire because much of this section can be classified as "Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana Go On an Extended Camping Adventure", and I think I'd like to do something with that for my story this week.

Bonfire stock photo from Pixabay

Sita: The Literal Daughter of the Earth: First, I'm really enjoying rereading another point of view of the Ramayana, because I know I missed things the first time around. I loved that Sita was actually born from the earth. As her father plowed the field, they hit a gold box, and there she was. Sita grows up to be a strong woman, and I think that's a neat parallel because she draws strength from Bhudevi. The term Mother Earth gets used all the time, so it's an interesting reversal to think of a true Daughter of the Earth. 

Sita: Warrior Princess: Sita discovers her divine parentage by accidentally moving Shiva's bow. I think it's interesting that in this edition, it's made clear that not only Rama can move it, but Sita as well. She's just as strong as Rama, but in a much more feminine way. I was a little disappointed when she was discouraged to be a warrior, and then admits that her place was definitely off the battlefield later in the forest. I think as much as Sita loves to read, she could be a great strategist. That said, it is completely within Sita's character to embody femininity. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, though.

Sita: Master of Her Own Fate: These titles are meant to be a little humorous, but I thought it was a change of pace when Sita suggested that there be a competition for her hand in marriage--not her father's idea, but Sita recognizing her own worth and saying that she would accept nothing less than the best. I think it doesn't always come through that Sita was exactly as much of a catch as Rama was, even though she was treated poorly time and time again, so I'm glad that was emphasized here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment