Monday, September 14, 2015

Week 3: Curation

Here's the rundown of the three most interesting things I found over the last week!

The first is, again, from Kid World Citizen. It's an interview with the author of a book who writes about a young Indian Princess traveling to different countries around the world. I really like this for a couple reasons--one, kids from all over the world, regardless if they're in India or France, can learn something about another culture through this book. Two, it really encourages a global mindset from a young age.




The second thing I found was more related to writing than anything else. I got stuck for a while on curation, because I wasn't sure how to relate everything back to India, but then I realized that there's a ton more we're doing in this class besides just reading Indian Epics, and that writing is a huge part of it too! So here I've got a link to someone who wrote up several tips on how to make dialogue more effective. I've already tried reading mine out loud, and it's really helped!




Lastly, another writing resource. This one is from a Tumblr called Writing Prompts. It's got a ton of interesting ideas and pictures to start a story from, all you have to do is supply the writing! Next time I'm stuck and can't think of a creative idea, I think I'll look here first!

1 comment:

  1. This kidworldcitizen.org site is so great, Claire: did you share the handpainting from here last week or was that someone else? Anyway, this is very charming: thank you so much for sharing it. Pinned! You might enjoy this piece from The Atlantic by Saraswati Nagpal, the author of two of the graphic novels for class (the Sita one, and also Draupadi):
    Princesses Can, in Fact, Be Role Models for Little Girls

    I also pinned your writing items to my Writing Board; I've got a tip to share in the announcements about "beats" in dialogue. There really are some good techniques that make dialogue much more lively and natural!

    And thanks for doing this curation option: it is such a fun way to get to see what people are interested in!

    ReplyDelete